What is No-Code Automation Testing?
No-Code automation testing is a form of testing that allows for the creation and execution of tests without having to code. With No-Code platforms, not a single line of code needs to be written. Instead, visual interfaces, such as a screen recorder or a drag-and-drop interface, let users create test cases and automate test scripts.
No-Code testing reduces the need for technically trained programming resources, and makes it possible for non-coders, such as business managers or QA teams, to create, execute, and maintain automated tests.
Why is No-Code automation testing gaining popularity?
According to a recent report by Gartner, No-Code tools will be used in the development and maintenance of a whopping 70% of all applications by 2025.
Why is that?
Because No-Code test automation offers numerous benefits over its code-based counterparts. Here are some of those key benefits:
Better use of labor: No-Code platforms allow all employees, including those without programming skills, to contribute to test automation. This makes it possible for more relevant business stakeholders to be involved in the testing process, and frees up technical resources to focus on higher-value tasks.
Faster time to market: With code-based tools like Selenium, it takes an average of 6 hours to create a test. With No-Code tools, non-technical employees can intuitively drag and drop elements on a screen, or record their actions, and create tests in just minutes. This, in turn, allows organizations to release their software faster.
Higher quality software: Because tests are able to be created and understood by non-technical employees, they can more easily communicate with their technical developers on tests, allowing them to identify and solve bugs faster. This, in turn, leads to higher quality software.
Additionally, because non-technical, frontline employees often know their business processes best, they have the process knowledge to create tests around their most critical business flows. This too, helps increase critical test coverage, and leads to higher quality software.
Cost savings: By reducing the need for programming resources–which are notoriously expensive–and the time it takes to create and execute tests, No-Code platforms offer cost advantages over code-based programs.
Better alignment with Agile methodologies: No-Code platforms are well-suited to Agile development methodologies, which prioritize rapid iteration and collaboration.
The best No-Code test automation tools are designed in such a manner that they help your business stay as agile and dynamic as possible in today’s competitive world.
Streamlined application development: By enabling non-technical personnel to contribute to the development process, it addresses the shortage of professional developers that often leads to delays in development.
Quicker responses to business needs: Codeless testing platforms quickly translate business needs into applications, reducing development time by up to 10 times, according to a Forrester report.
More involvement from business teams: As no programming skills are necessary, those with a deep understanding of business needs can use codeless testing tools. Research shows that 44% of codeless platform users are business users working with IT.
For these reasons listed, it’s no surprise that 66% of IT professionals surveyed chose codeless platforms to speed up digital transformation and meet business needs, according to a study of over 3,300 IT professionals
Challenges with codeless automation testing tools
Despite all the benefits of codeless test automation tools, which we’ve just listed, there are a few drawbacks to keep in mind:
- Limited functionality: Low-code platforms may not have all the necessary features and functionalities required for comprehensive software testing, leading to limitations in testing capabilities.
- Maintenance and scalability issues: Low-code platforms may have difficulty handling large and complex projects, leading to maintenance and scalability issues.
- Creating complex, End-to-End tests: Integrating low-code testing solutions with other software development tools can be challenging, especially if the tools are not designed to work together.
- High learning curve: Despite being user-friendly, low-code or No-Code testing platforms may still have a high learning curve, requiring users to spend a significant amount of time to master the tool.
Opkey: The world’s intuitive No-Code test automation tool
Opkey is a powerful No-Code automation tool that’s simple enough for any non-technical employee to use, yet robust enough to satisfy any QA engineer.
Opkey addresses the core challenges of No-Code tools described above by:
- Providing comprehensive functionality: Opkey offers a wide range of testing features and functionalities that allow users to perform comprehensive software testing. Specifically, Opkey can automate regression tests, functional tests, user acceptance tests, and more.
- Ensuring scalability and maintenance: Opkey’s designed to handle large and complex projects. In fact, we’ve helped some of the largest companies in the world–including Pfizer and The GAP–achieve digital transformation with No-Code testing.
- Easy integration: Opkey supports more than 14 packaged applications and 150 technologies, meaning you can test your most complex End-to-End business processes with Opkey. Opkey also integrates with the most popular CI/CD and DevOps tools on the market.
- User-friendly interface: Opkey's user-friendly interface and low learning curve make it easy for users to get up to speed quickly. It takes the average user jus 3 hours of training to get up to speed on Opkey’s platform.
These features and capabilities make Opkey a compelling choice for businesses looking to automate their software testing processes without coding.
The adoption of low-code/No-Code testing automation platforms is rapidly growing, as businesses seek to streamline their software testing processes and improve the speed, efficiency, and quality of their applications. No code automated testing tools such as Opkey offer a number of benefits, including reduced development time and costs, greater participation from non-technical users in the testing process, and more efficient, scalable software testing.
However, there are also challenges to overcome with these No-Code tools, including limited functionality with regards to End-to-End testing or a high learning curve. Despite these challenges, the future of software testing looks bright for No-Code testing automation platforms, as businesses look for solutions that can keep pace with the fast-paced digital transformation of the industry.
Overall, businesses should consider the potential benefits of codeless testing automation and explore the solutions available on the market, including Opkey, to determine the best fit for their specific needs and goals.
With the right No-Code tools and testing strategies in place, companies can get more stakeholders involved in the testing process, improve their applications, and stay ahead in a rapidly evolving digital landscape.