To keep pace with changing business requirements and increased competition, enterprises across the globe are migrating to cloud-based ERP systems. Cloud ERPs are more cost-effective than on-prem solutions, plus they foster continuous innovation in the form of regular updates.
Oracle, Salesforce, Microsoft Dynamics, Kronos, Workday, and SAP all roll out several ERP updates a year. Because ERPs integrate seamlessly with several third-party apps, any update can cause these integrations to break, leading to a loss in productivity and expensive downtime. This is where the need of regression testing comes in.
In this blog, In this blog post, we’ll discuss regression testing, the challenges of manual regression testing and why automated regression testing is the key to handling regular ERP updates.
See automated regression testing in action: Schedule a demo now!
What is regression testing?
Regression is one of the most common types of software testing. It is called regression testing because you are going back or “regressing” to the existing code base to make sure it isn’t negatively affected whenever new functionality, features, or updates are added to an application.
Regression testing helps to ensure a more stable application with fewer bugs and performance issues. Basically, QA teams perform regression testing to make sure code changes haven’t created new errors or caused existing workflows and integrations to break. This ensures that the application still functions as expected post-update.
Regression testing is especially important in ERP applications due to the frequency of updates.
Why automated regression testing is key
In a scenario where Cloud ERP solutions roll out continuous updates, manual regression testing isn’t viable as it is labor-intensive, risky, and consumes too much timing. Automated regression testing addresses these challenges to support business continuity.
An automated regression testing framework increases test speed and coverage and eliminates the need to hire additional QA team members. A zero-code test automation platform such as Opkey lets you automate test cases with the click of a button.
Here’s how we do it.
· Our no-code test creation capability transforms manual test cases into automated test cases with one click, allowing non-technical users to intuitively build automated regression tests through a drag-and-drop interface.
· A pre-built test accelerator repository contains 20,000+ automated test cases for more than 14 ERPs.
· Change Impact Analysis gives a detailed view of how an ERP update will impact business flows and recommends and prioritizes specific regression test cases.
· Easy diagnosis of why tests fail and the ability to self-heal broken tests speeds up the entire development and testing process.
· End-to-end testing ensures all ERP integrations and customizations perform as expected after each and every update and new release.
Read the report: The State of ERP Testing
An organization’s investment in an expensive ERP solution shouldn’t be wasted on inadequate and inefficient testing. The whole purpose of ERP implementation is to streamline business processes and save time and money. Manual testing defeats the purpose.
Test automation enhances your ERP investment and helps you get the maximum benefit from all those updates.