Migrations from Oracle EBS to Oracle Cloud pose a major challenge to nearly all organizations that undertake them. According to Oracle, 80% of migrations run over time and/or budget: Cost overruns average 30%, while time overruns average 41%.
A well thought out, robust testing plan is vital to ensure that your migration goes smoothly. Your migration testing plan should include a series of pre-migration, mid-migration, and post-migration testing scenarios. Continuous testing throughout an Oracle Cloud migration ensures that your business processes are configured correctly, and that your applications will perform as required after the migration.
While easy in theory, continuous testing during a migration is hard, in practice. Here are some common pain points:
- Tedious testing processes: Repetitive Oracle testing is time consuming and monotonous. As such, it can be frustrating for both business users and IT teams, and often is rife with human error.
- Many moving parts: As a project manager, the migration process can get very complicated, very quickly. Here are just a few of the many tasks they must stay on top of: Defining the testing strategy, identifying the tests to be performed, assigning the tests to the manual testers, chasing the testers for individual status reports, consolidating test statuses to get a sense of overall testing progress, managing defects, and ensuring that testers perform their testing on time.
- Not knowing what to test: Customers typically allot 30%-40% of the overall project timeline for preparing test scenarios and executing multiple rounds of regression testing. However, unclear scopes of what needs to be tested often leads to timeline overruns. QA managers often struggle to determine what exactly to test, and as such, they settle for one of two options:
- Test every possible EBS transaction that may be affected to minimize the risk of production failures. This consumes a lot of time and budget.
- ‘Guess’ where the greatest impact will be and test those areas. This option comes with lower costs, but more risk.
What migration managers need is a test automation platform that takes the guesswork out of what to test, enables business users to quickly create and maintain test scripts, and ensures that nothing major breaks during their migration.
While some might call us biased, here are some reasons why Opkey is the best choice for your Oracle Cloud migration needs:
- Test Discovery to Determine Testing Scope: Opkey autonomously logs the processes & configurations of your existing EBS environment. By comparing as-is and to-be business processes, we can determine the optimal scope of testing. This exact scope will help you keep migration risks at bay, and timelines under check.
- Test Accelerators to Accelerate Test Creation: Opkey’s Test Accelerator–built from a library of over 4,000 Oracle test cases–can instantly fill in the gaps of your test cases, and help you achieve 100% coverage for your migration to Oracle Cloud.
- Simplified Test Data Management: Generating qualiﬁed test data for processes such as Procure to Pay and Order to Cash can be excruciating due to data integrity constraints and transaction accuracy. Opkey simplifies test data management by fetching Master data details (Chart of Account, Employee, Customers, Item, Supplier) from a non-production instance based on Organization ID or Date Range, selected to be used for the functional validation of test cases. The result is hours of time saved on performing manual data entry & management.
- End-to-End Testing: Oracle EBS is often used with different applications & technologies to serve different purposes. For example, EBS can be integrated with Workday or Kronos for attendance management. Opkey’s platform supports over 150 technologies and packaged applications, including web, app, API, legacy, desktop, and mobile. This ensures that when a change occurs in Oracle EBS or Oracle Cloud, your organization can see the impact across its full tech stack.
- Enhanced Test Visibility and Communication: With Opkey, you can plan test projects, assign tasks, and see exactly where each tester is on their progress. Additionally, Opkey’s internal messaging platform allows Business Teams to effectively collaborate with IT Teams, which greatly reduces the time needed to create and implement new test scripts.
- No Code Platform Built for Business Users: For nearly all organizations, business users must perform testing. As such, Opkey’s No-Code interface allows business users to quickly create and maintain tests without the help of technical resources.
Migrations from Oracle EBS to Oracle Cloud are notoriously challenging: 80% of them run over time and/or budget.
Opkey’s test automation platform is proven to reduce the burden of your migration, and ensure that your project is complete without hiccups.
Feel free to get in touch with us today.
And if you’re interested, read this case study to see how The Gap reduced their migration time by 3 months by partnering with Opkey.