Automated Salesforce Test Accelerator – Salesforce Testing done right
Salesforce has emerged as a leading player in CRM market (covering Sales, Marketing and service functions) and is now being used by most of the top enterprises globally. In-fact Salesforce has been ranked as number 1 CRM for 4 consecutive years by IDC, one of the leading industry analyst
If your organization is one of those many, that have implemented Salesforce, you already know how important it is to do continuous testing of your Salesforce implementation. Silent changes to your Org by users, Changes to your business rules or platform minormajor release can potentially mess up your system. In-fact Salesforce itself enforces creation and execution of unit test to implement code-coverage requirements on any Apex code you want to deploy to Production.
However, unit testing of salesforce only results in your APEX code or your custom objects been tested. You need to supplement your unit testing strategy for Salesforce with Functional UI and API tests in sandbox and Production environments for your standard and custom Salesforce implementation. And that’s where enterprises turn to Salesforce Test Automation
Salesforce Test Automation – Things to consider
Salesforce test automation is not as simple and straightforward as any other web test automation (It might look like that at first glance but let not the simplicity fool you). Here are some of the points to consider when thinking about Salesforce Test Automation
- Choosing Right Salesforce Test Automation Tool
This is off course the first step in your salesforce test automation journey. A wrong tool can derail your test automation even before you realize. Some of the things you should consider before choosing a tool
· Does the tool understand Salesforce: How well it can handle salesforce quirks like dynamic Ids (yep. You can’t rely on salesforce IDs alone for identification). How well it interacts with advanced controls like service cloud console, embedded tabs and complex Visualforce custom controls
· Is your tool Lightning interface ready: Make sure your salesforce testing tool works with both classic and lightning interface seamlessly (and literally without you needing to change anything)
Does your tool support other applications like Oracle EBS: This is a very important factor while choosing test automation tool. Testing Salesforce in heterogeneous environments is complex. Clients often have Salesforce connected to other applications like Oracle EBS and servicenow to facilitate quoting, order management and customer support. Your Salesforce test automation tool should also support your other applications to test end to end testing scenarios
2.Choosing the Right Test automation approach
Now that you have decided on a salesforce test tool, you should consider what approach you are going to take approach. Are you going to have pure UI automated tests? Or is it going to be a combination of UI and API tests (remember UI tests can be flaky sometimes)?
In our experience, most of the successful Salesforce testing teams take a Hybrid approach. Use Salesforce REST APIs for set up test data and other pre-requisites and then use your UI automated tests to test your business Rules.
3.Prebuilt Salesforce Test Accelerator Vs. building it from scratch
Now this is one question you should ponder seriously because this can decide how quickly you can align your salesforce test automation initiative to the speed and agility of your business teams
You have to consider if there is a way to accelerate your test automation by using prebuilt set of automated business components for most common salesforce functionalities. Is there a test recorder that automatically understands salesforce context and play back your scripts reliably?
Choosing a right automated salesforce accelerator can improve your automation RoI drastically while making it easy for your IT teams to adopt test automation for your salesforce initiative
OpKey’s Automated Salesforce Test Accelerator
At OpKey, we have developed one of the most advanced test automation platform for salesforce (and beyond) Some of the Key points of OpKey’s Support for Salesforce
- AI-powered Salesforce test recorder: OpKey has one of the industry’s best Salesforce specific recorder and playback engine that is powered by our patented AI contextual recognition engine. OpKey captures the combination of Salesforce metadata, Screen context, and object property to have a 3-D recognition mechanism for Salesforce control.
- Full support for lightning and classic interface: If (or When) you decide to move from classic to lightning experience, you won’t have to throw away your test automation. OpKey’s scripts will literally work seamlessly with both the interfaces.
- Support beyond Salesforce for End to End integration testing: With OpKey, you get a single stop platform for all your testing needs. With support for all of your enterprise application portfolio including Oracle EBS, ServiceNow, Workday, Web and mobile apps
- Prebuilt set of reusable components: OpKey comes with 400+ salesforce-specific business components and 200+ pre-built business processes to help you accelerate your test automation effort. All Prebuilt OpKey business components can be easily rearranged to create your own business process test.
Salesforce Test automation is not a luxury anymore, but a requirement given the speed and agility that your salesforce implementation demands. And no one supports the Salesforce platform better than OpKey’s Salesforce Test Accelerator. To know more, go to our Salesforce page or contact a salesforce test automation expert here