Salesforce, the world’s most popular CRM, enables businesses to be flexible and customer-focused. However, the reliance on manual regression testing can impede the productivity of a Salesforce development and operations team, and create a major bottleneck.
One of the biggest benefits of a custom Salesforce environment is that you can make rapid changes. But at the same time, organizations must ensure that frequent changes and updates don't break their system. Therefore, testing must be fast enough to assure accurate and quick deployments. Since the Salesforce platform enables admins and developers to quickly build and release apps, adopting Salesforce automated regression testing helps shorten the time required for application development and testing.
This article will explore the significance of Salesforce regression testing and explain how choosing the appropriate regression testing tool can save you time and energy, allowing you to focus on more value-added tasks.
Why is regression testing important?
Regression testing refers to testing software modifications to make sure they don’t introduce new defects or break current functionality, and is vital to ensuring that new changes don’t break existing workflows.
Since Salesforce is regularly updated, and Salesforce allows frequent changes, , regression testing should be performed each time an update is applied or a change is made. Even for experienced testers, this exercise is tedious and often a waste of time.
Testers should perform regression testing when:
- A Salesforce Seasonal Release Occurs : Salesforce has three major releases per year: spring, summer, and winter. Salesforce also provides weekly patches to address known issues. Regression testing helps mitigate business risks associated with these changes, and also helps comply with regulations.
- Change management: Most Salesforce organizations frequently update their system to incorporate new features. Prior to being implemented in the production organization, these modifications must be tested.
- End-to-end integrations: Salesforce integrates with other ERPs and third party applications. Regression testing is necessary to ensure that these integrations and customizations perform as expected after each application change, update, or release.
Read our blog: Opkey’s High Level Guide to Oracle Cloud Regression Testing
Benefits of implementing automated Salesforce regression testing
While most organizations understand the importance of Salesforce regression testing, thousands of organizations are now automating their Salesforce regression testing to save time, money, and effort.
According to the Capgemini World Quality Report from 2021/22, regression testing is an obvious choice for automation, although it’s estimated that only 15-20% of regression testing is really automated.
Salesforce automated regression testing provides businesses with a number of benefits, including cost reductions from less required labor, shorter test cycle times, and quicker development cycles. Here are some additional benefits:
- Quicker feedback and time-to-market: Automated regression testing allows developers to receive quick feedback, allowing them to swiftly fix errors or bugs. This allows them to add small updates or fixes to their environment, which improves overall team efficiency and reduces the time it takes to bring the product to market.
- Increased consistency: Salesforce automated regression testing is more reliable than manual testing, since it requires little human intervention. This means that each cycle will be more reliable and consistent. Test automation also allows for the simultaneous running of more regression test cases, which increases test coverage, thus reduces risk.
- Your people can focus on other things: : Automated Salesforce regression testing enables employees to focus on more important tasks. By using Salesforce automated tool, test suites can be scheduled and run overnight. Because employees don't have to manually execute or report on them, they’re freed up for more valuable activities.
Read the Case Study: Yarra Valley Water Reduces Salesforce Testing Timelines & Maintenance Efforts with Opkey
Opkey for Salesforce regression testing
Opkey is a test automation platform specifically built for packaged applications like Salesforce. Automation tools like Opkey speed up test cycles and increase coverage, helping to lower costs and effort, while decreasing business risk.
Opkey seamlessly integrates with Salesforce APIs and analyzes data flow, business logic, and customization to generate test data instantly. Additionally, Opkey is No-Code, empowering non-technical employees to contribute to test automation.
You’ve never seen a test automation tool like this. Get a demo today.