Opkey Desktop Recorder is a Recorder utility which helps you in automation of a desktop application. By using Desktop Recorder, you can record all actions performed on the desktop and create a Test Case or Function Library in an easy way. The created Test case or Function Library can be further customized as per the requirement.
Java Recorder is also a Recorder utility, integrated with Opkey Desktop Recorder utility, which records actions performed on Java Desktop Applications.
Need of Opkey Desktop/Java Recorder:
Automating Windows in desktop Applications is a challenging task. Now, it's seamlessly possible to automate Windows applications by recording actions performed on the windows machine by using Opkey Desktop Recorder and then play it back to execute the created test script.
Some desktop applications behave as Java Applications. In this case, Opkey Java Recorder starts working and records all actions performed on the desktop java applications. Now, Java Recorder comes with the Desktop Recorder which automatically detects Java applications.
It comes with the Opkey Smart Recorder package. For installing Opkey Desktop Recorder, please refer Installing Opkey Smart Recorder. Once, it has installed on your machine, its icon on the desktop will be shown below:
Opkey Smart Recorder is a complete recorder package which works as a Web, Mobile as well as Desktop Recorder. You need to choose the platform (Web, mobile or Desktop) on which you want to perform recording. If you are performing recording on Web, mobile or Desktop application for the first time, you need to install Opkey Smart Recorder. Once it is installed, you can perform recording on the supported platforms applications.
Getting started with Opkey Desktop/Java Recorder:
To start recording on the desktop by using Opkey Desktop Recorder, you need to follow the below given steps:
Recording Test Steps through Desktop Application Recorder:
- Create a Test Case/Function Library.
- Click on Record button and then Desktop Recorder as shown below.
- There are two options for creating Object Repository (collection of objects to be fetched): Default Object Repository and Choose Object Repository. You can select any one of them and start recording a session.
- If you select the Default Object Repository option, then an OR file will be created in the default folder which will contain all the fetched objects.
- If you select the Choose Object Repository option, then the existing OR files will be displayed. You can select any OR file or create a new OR file.
- Click on Start Recording to begin the recording process.
A new Java Recorder has been implemented with Opkey Desktop Recorder. It is able to record actions performed on Java based applications & play them back using Java plugin.
(A) Selected Application mode:
Quick Start Screencast:
In this mode, you can perform the recording process on a selected application. Provide full path (without Quotation marks) of the .exe file of the application to be recorded. (Here, VLC Media Player).
Paste the Desktop Application location path (without Quotation marks) at the specified location.
- Desktop Recorder and Application Window opens. Start working on your Desktop Application. Let us start the recording process. You can see that your actions being performed on the application are being recorded here.
While working with the Desktop Recorder in selected application mode, now there is a checkbox (Allow Chromium Embedded Recording) implemented. This option should be selected only when your desktop application has embedded Chrome web browser. It allows you to record the test steps in case Chrome gets launched inside the desktop application. There is a new keyword Win_LaunchWebApplication which launches the web part of the desktop application during test execution.
- You can switch to the Spy mode of recording. In Spy mode, you need to hold press Ctrl button and hover mouse on the desired object. Once, its properties are fetched, leave the Ctrl button and select the relevant action keyword from the dropdown list and add it. You can add it as a Test Step or add only objects.
(B) Any application mode:
Quick Start Screencast:
In this mode, you can perform recording on any desktop application. Select Record on any Application radio button and click Start button.
The recorder window will open. Let us start the recording process. You can see that your actions being performed on the application are being recorded here.
Further procedures of the recording process are the same for both the steps: Selected application and Any Application.
You can have a look at the Test Steps being recorded though the Any Application mode of Desktop Recorder.
- Once, Spy mode of recording session is finished, go back to the Record mode. When the recording process gets completed, click on Save & Close button to save the recorded objects and close the recording session.
Working with Java Recorder:
There are some desktop applications which are based on Java Technologies & they behave like Java Applications. In order to record actions performed on those Java Desktop Applications, there is a Java Recorder in Opkey which comes integrated with Desktop Recorder. You don’t need to install it separately. While using Java Recorder on Java desktop applications, it automatically detects the application & records all actions along with object properties & images. There is a separate Opkey Java plugin for executing Test Cases created for Java Desktop Applications.You can opt any mode (Selected application mode or Any application mode) for recording actions from a Java desktop application.
Here, you can view that the actions being performed on the Java desktop application are being recorded one by one. Recorded actions have been added as test steps along with corresponding Java Recorder specific keywords.
Quick Start Screencast:
- Let us have a look at the recorded Test Steps to the Test case.
- Now, you can execute this Test Case and analyze the execution result.
- Click on Run Now (F5), fill all required fields and initiate the execution process. Once, execution process has completed, you can view the execution result.