Salesforce is one of the most prominent Customer Relationship Management (CRM) platforms in the world spanning a wide range of industries and company sizes. It is useful in connecting an organization to its customers, which essentially accelerates sales and grow the customer base. Since Salesforce has turned into an all pervasive MXDP (Multi Experience Development Platform) platform, it is relied upon by many internal teams, and its frequent testing is required to ensure unhindered workflow.
The Salesforce UI is highly customizable, its objects properties are dynamic, and the use of Shadow DOM make elements significantly harder to interact with. Periodic Salesforce updates change the object properties that can possibly break the existing tests. Therefore, businesses are now facing challenge to deliver their Salesforce customizations fast and at scale.
To cater to the need, enterprises are adopting Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment practices for their Salesforce ecosystem, and to scale this practice, continuous autonomous testing will have to be in place.
This blog attempts to address the biggest roadblocks the teams face while implementing continuous Automated Salesforce testing and winning strategies that will put enterprises in the forefront.
Why Continuous Testing for Salesforce is a necessity?
The key to any large-scale Salesforce delivery needs to have Continuous Testing in place which forms an essential part of DevOps process. Continuous Testing provides rapid feedback on the software release and the business risks associated with it. Salesforce DX and features like Salesforce CLI, Scratch Orgs and new Meta Data, Salesforce has eased the automation with every step of build, delivery and deployment.
On implementation of CI/CD as a practice
- all issues with code integration across multiple sandboxes reduce dramatically
- developers spend more time writing code vs managing bugs
Therefore, it leads to faster release cycles or a higher release velocity.
Continuous testing ensures consistency. Early and continuous testing provides quality assurance which is important for DevOps success. Continuous Testing in Salesforce reduces risks associated with a large program. Salesforce test automation becomes a significant responsibility of the enterprise to keep the functions running in order to provide services to the customers.
Challenges of Test Automation for Salesforce
Regular updates of Salesforce make it a challenging task for users to stay updated with the features. Let us look at the challenges faced.
- Navigating through frames is difficult that can load content independently in the current HTML document
- Working with Dynamic elements having no fixed attributes
- Handling dynamic database driven tables which are controlled by different tabs
- Shadow DOM and dynamic pop ups are not easy to test as it requires coding
- Complex interface like Cloud console make automation tough
- Making the move from Classic Interface to Lightning Interface
- Testing through omni channel by adapting to latest technologies of Web, Mobile and Wearables
Key Pillars for Implementing Continuous Salesforce Testing Framework
- Low/No Code for Test Scripting which enables teams to create and change without having any coding experience
- Continuous Org Change Analysis enables team to assess the risk associated with affected functionalities and impacted test suites
- High test coverage capability to enable testing of SFDC UI and APIs connecting to interfaces
- Synthetic test data that’s SFDC specific makes tests more real world with better chances of finding defects
- DevOps toolchain integrations enables developers to run tests as part of their committed workflow
How OpKey can be the best choice for Salesforce Test Automation
- OpKey’s AI powered test automation tool accelerates test creation by 3X-5X compared to other tools. It provides codeless test automation experience to business users
- OpKey is equipped with features to test both Classic and Lightning Salesforce interface with a single test script without any dependency.
- OpKey’s SFDC process builder workflow capabilities can be used to seamlessly build testing workflows
- The actionable reporting and analytics feature generate success-failure test reports while it runs tests automatically through continuous CI system
- OpKey with its 15,000+ pre-built test cases and CIITTM methodology for implementing continuous testing is helping enterprises staying ahead of changing SFDC landscape and platform updates
OpKey’s Salesforce Test accelerator has proved to be one of the most effective and efficient Salesforce Testing tools which caters to dynamic business scenarios.
OpKey’s advanced features reduce the test creation efforts from months to hours. The test data is compatible with the latest versions with its reusable, self-healed tests which significantly reduces the effort and time spent.
OpKey powered by AI provides real time and effortless creation of robust and reusable test cases with Salesforce Test Builder that supports 3X-5X faster test creation as compared to other tools. OpKey is the one stop solution for all Salesforce testing worries.