OpKey Mainframe Recorder is a Recorder utility which helps you in the automation of a Mainframe application. This Mainframe Recorder allows you to record all actions performed on the mainframe and create a Test Case or Function Library in an effortless manner. The created Test case or Function Library can be further customized as per the requirement.
Need of OpKey Mainframe Recorder:
Automation of Mainframe applications is a challenging task as these applications behave in a different way. Here, we are discussing about the Mainframe Rumba Display. Rumba display provides a console platform where you can perform task, connect/disconnect with the server, and do more.The existing recoreder utilities are not capable to record actions performed on the Rumba Mainframe Display.
The OpKey’s Mainframe Recorder is now capable to record actions from such mainframe application and create a test case.
It comes with the OpKey Smart Recorder package. For installing OpKey Mainframe Recorder, please refer Installing OpKey Smart Recorder. Once, it has installed on your machine, its icon is showing on the desktop as shown below:
OpKey Smart Recorder is a complete recorder package which works as a Web, Mobile, Desktop Recorder as well as Mainframe Recorder. You need to choose the mode (Selected or Any) on which you want to perform the recording.
Getting started with OpKey Mainframe Recorder:
To start recording on the Mainframe application (like Rumba) by using OpKey Mainframe Recorder, you need to follow the below given steps:
Recording Test Steps through Mainframe Application Recorder:
- Create a Test Case/Function Library.
- Click on Record button and then Mainframe Recorder as shown below.
- There are two options of creating Object Repository (collection of objects to be fetched): Default Object Repository and Choose Object Repository. You can select anyone of them and start recording session.
- If you select Default Object Repository option then an Or file will be created in the default folder which will contain all the fetched objects.
- JNLP file of Mainframe Recorder is getting downloaded. Here, Mainframe Recorder is already downloaded on the system.
Note: If the Mainframe Recorder is not downloaded on your system then you will be redirected to install it first and then launch it.
- Click on the Open Start to launch the Mainframe Recorder.
- If you select Choose Object Repository option then tree of existing OR files will be displayed. You can select any OR file or create new OR file.
- Click on Start Recording to begin recording process.
(A) Selected Application mode:
In this mode, you can perform recording process on a selected application. Provide full path (without Quotation marks) of the .exe file of the application to be recorded. (Here, Rumba application). Paste the Rumba mainframe Application location path (without Quotation marks) at the specified location.
- Mainframe Recorder and the Mainframe Rumba Application Window opens. Start working on the Mainframe (like Rumba) Application.
- You can see that your actions being performed on the application are being recorded here.
- You can switch to the Spy mode of recording. In Spy mode, you need to click and place your cursor where you want to hover mouse. Afterthat, hold the pressed Ctrl button and hover mouse on the desired object. Once, its properties are fetched, the left Ctrl button and select relevant action keyword from the dropdown list and add it. You can add it as a Test Step or add only objects.
- Once, Spy mode of recording session finished, go back to the Record mode. When the recording process gets completed, click on the Save & Close button to save the recorded objects and close the recording session.
- Let us have a look at the recorded Test Steps to the Test case.
- Now, you can execute this Test Case by using Mainframe Plugin, and analyze execution result.